Re: Synonyms in John 21

From: Jonathan Robie (74144.2360@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 1996 - 11:44:11 EDT

BAGD, in the article on agapaw, suggests that agapaw and philew are used
interchangeably in John 21. It cites the frequent use of other synonym pairs in
the same chapter as evidence: boskein/poimainein, arnia/probatia, elkuin/surein.

I'm not a Greek scholar, but this makes sense to me. In English, we often add
variety by using different synonyms in a passage, and the use of different words
does not really convey deep differences in meaning.

Jonathan

P.S. BAGD also has a bibliography of articles addressing the use of
agapaw/philew in John 21.