Re: DIAKONON IN ROM. 16:1

From: Graeme Codrington (gj.codrington@pixie.co.za)
Date: Wed Jul 10 1996 - 22:09:18 EDT

Hi there evryone,

Thanks for the interesting discussion, and the repeats from yesteryear.
As a newbie, I am grateful for this repetition. As grateful as I am,
however, no-one has yet directly answered my question. If you will allow
me, then, to repeat it, I would like some clarification on the Greek
etymology and correct translation (especially with reefernce to gender) of
DIAKONON in Romans 16:1.

>My request is simple. The reference to Phoebe as a DIAKONON (masc. sing)
>in Rom. 16:1 would seem to indicate that DIAKONON was a technical title
>for a position in the early church. It should thus be translated "deacon"
>and not "servant". However, DIAKONON is a second declension noun, which
>takes masculine endings in the feminine. Would this indicate that
>"servant" is the better translation?

Thank you,

Graeme C
gj.codrington@pixie.co.za
http://www.pix.za/atd/graeme

****
    Circular definition: See Definition, circular.