Re: Luke 12:10

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 16:08:06 EDT

Jeffery W Grams writes (excerpted):

> Luke 12:10

> I would like to propose the following translation of the passage on the
> basis of the greek text and the context of the passage...
>
> "And anyone who will speak a word to the Son of man, he will be forgiven,
> but he who toward the Holy Spirit blasphemes, he will not be forgiven."
>
> I would like to understand the construction of EREI LOGON EIS TON UION
> TOU ANTHROPOU in the sense of "to speak a word to" = "to confess"...

> The strong advantage of this transation (to my mind) is that it not only
> does not set up an opposition between the Son of Man and the Holy Spirit,
> it also continues the flow of arguement that is seen in verses 8 & 9
> where Jesus says plainly that if we confess him he will confess us, and
> if we deny him he will deny us... Strangely enough, modern translations
> tend to translate the EIS exclusively as "against" which does not fit
> well into the context...

I find this intriguing. Although I have to admit not having done a
thorough study of EIS, is it possible even to translate EIS positively as
"for" rather than "against":

  "And anyone who will speak a word for (in favor of) the Son of man
   ..."

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com