Luke 12:10

From: Randy Leedy (RLEEDY@wpo.bju.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 27 1996 - 09:55:33 EDT

Don Wilkins hit on a key consideration that has been overlooked in
the discussion of Luke 12:10: the subject of AFEQHSETAI. It is not
the person, who appears in the dative; i.e., AFEQHSETAI AUTWi cannot
be translated "he will be forgiven." Rather, something will be
forgiven him. The question is, what is that something.

Surely it is too much of a stretch to import the idea of the man's
total sin-debt, of which there is no hint in the context. The subject
must be either the act just described (i.e., speaking a word EIS the
Son of Man) or, less likely, the denial described in the previous
verse. The only possibility I can see for taking EIS in a friendly
rather than a hostile sense is to carry over the subject from the
previous verse so that verse 10 means that the denial will be
forgiven to the one who later speaks properly to the Son of Man, but
the denial will never be forgiven to the one who blasphemes against
the Holy Spirit. This construction of the passage strikes me as
strained, but it's the only way I can see to get a friendly sense for
EIS.

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University