Re: Greek-to-ASCII suggestions

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 1996 - 09:24:50 EDT

Carlton L. Winbery wrote:

> David Moore wrote;
> > Well, it looks as though you all have done your homework on this
> >one, so I'll also try to depart from habit and accompany you in writing C
> >for Chi and X for Xi.
> >
> Using the C for Xi and the X for XSI as well as the Y for PSI and the Q for
> THETA is easy for those who normally type in the Linquist Software fonts,
> SuperGreek, Graeca, Alexandria, etc. These are the characters used in
> these fonts. If you have the SuperGreek NT from Linquist, you can type
> exactly as in the text without the accents and produce the text for
> posting.

        I also notice that the Perseus site does give one the option of
entering queries in Beta Code (CCAT standard) which uses X for Chi and C
for Xi. The site also gives one the option of using a system that
includes digraphs or a greek font which they supply.

        I'm still wondering if, as a scholarly exercise, it is not
worthwhile to learn the Beta Code system, since one encounters it in so
many different places.

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education