Typography

From: Michael Chase (goya@uvic.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 26 1997 - 15:06:01 EDT

        Re the recent thread on typography, the following item has just
been brough to my attention:

GUIDE PRATIQUE DU COMPOSITEUR ET DE L'IMPRIMEUR TYPOGRAPHES.... by
LEFEVRE, (Pierre) Theotiste.
Paris: Firmin-Didot, 1883
. Large 8vo. Contemporary green calf spine, boards. xviii, 756 pages. This
is the most complete edition of this important printer's manual, first
printed in 1832 and reprinted in 1838, 1847 and 1854. Barbier calls it "a
mine of information on both current and past practice in composition."
There is much information on printing in English, Italian, Greek, Coptic,
German, Russian, Arabic, and Hebrew. This is a very nice copy in a handsome
contemporary binding.

        A Virginia bookseller wants $325 for it; e-mail me off-list for
more info (I don't, by the way, have any financial interest la-dedans...)

        Cheers,

Michael Chase
(goya@uvic.ca)
Visiting Scholar