Re: ANDRA and ANHR in the G

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 00:00:29 EDT

At 8:29 AM -0500 6/23/97, Lance Crimm wrote:

>The reference in Genesis is definitely for the view that ANHR is applied to
>a husband. This is how I understand the account in Matthew 1:16 TON ANDRA
>MARIAS.

Right. ANHR must mean 'husband' not 'father'. Matthew's Genealogy claims to
trace the line from Abraham to Joseph, the husband of Mary, not from
Abraham to Mary. It is presented as Joseph's genealogy with the additional
mention that he was Mary's husband.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/