Re: Re: Sexist Language

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 00:00:57 EDT

At 4:11 PM +0700 6/25/97, Lemuel G. Abarte wrote:
>The point I am trying to make is this: The writers of the NT have a
>theology. That theology is reflected in their writings. When Paul used
>the word EPISKOPOS, he was talking about - men. There is no reference to
>women. The same with DIAKONOS.

Well. . . that's not quite right about DIAKONOS. Paul did use that word in
one context where he can only have meant for it to refer to a woman. He
calls Phoebe a DIAKONOS in Romans 16.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/