Re: Junia EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS (and Andronicus too)

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 23:41:16 EDT

At 10:01 PM 6/26/97 -0400, Theresa J List, Dcs wrote:

Well, this was a very interesting message, Theresa, but I don't see how to
excerpt it without including the whole thing. Your point that some of these
titles may be used differently in different parts of scripture is well
taken, and may help me figure out how to deal with something that's bugging
me...

In Acts 21:9, Paul visits Philip the evangelist, who had four virgin
daughters who were prophetesses. (This kind of sentence always strikes me as
a little strange: "Well, its good to see you, Paul! I'd like you to meet my
four virgin daughters, who are prophetesses...") This sounds a lot like an
position of some kind. Yet Paul seems to indicate that women shouldn't even
speak in church in 1 Tim 2:12 ff and 1 Cor 14:34 ff. Could there really be a
prophetess who couldn't speak in church? What exactly would such a
prophetess do?

Jonathan

P.S. the last time I confronted these questions was the time that a woman
asked me if I would sit under a woman. I replied that it depended a great
deal on how much the woman weighed...

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com