RE: Junia EN TOIS APOSTOLOIS (and Andronicus too)

From: Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 03:22:41 EDT

But to put Theresa's two postings together - if you accept the role of prophetess and that Philip's daughters in Acts were prophetesses, then I don't see your reluctance to accept the role of Apostle as a functional office within the Church in Paul's time.

In one of the list of gifts we have a clear push in this direction: God has established in the church first apostles, then prophets, then teachers....How could the assumption that apostle is a church office be more firmly founded? Not only is it an office, but it is an office which is part and parcel of the edification of the Church - surely the whole point of the gifts in 1 Cor 12.

Secondly, if personal witness of Jesus was the overriding qualification to be an apostle then clearly there would have been hundreds - see Paul's list of those to whom Jesus appeared not to mention the thousands who must have met with him in his life time - some of whom clearly rejected him. APOSTOLOS is not MARTUS. An apostle is surely one sent out by Jesus. Paul became an apostle because Jesus sent him out after his experience on the Damascus Road. Perhaps Junia had a sending experience and this was ratified in the Church....you see where I'm going :) ?

Pete Phillips,
Cliff College, England