Re: EPI in Phil 1:3

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 1997 - 12:17:02 EDT

At 08:05 AM 7/19/97 -0700, Lex Kuhta wrote:

>I think it depends on who is doing the remembering. Is Paul remembering
>them and getting happy? Or does Paul get happy when they remember him
>and their donations arrive? Phil is sort of a fund raising letter.
>Grammatically, is there a way to tell which case it is? I don't think
>so. So I resort to context. Since KOINWNIA in 1:5 refers to financial
>support, I favor the notion that Paul gets happy when their cash
>arrives.
>
>And so for me, hUMWN is a subjective genitive.

Hmmm...the end of Philippians does clearly indicate that Paul had received a
gift from them, and that it had been a long time since he had received such
a gift. Here it is in the RSV:

Phil 4:10 (RSV) I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at length you have
revived your concern for me; you were indeed concerned for me, but you had
no opportunity. 11 Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in
whatever state I am, to be content. 12 I know how to be abased, and I know
how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of
facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want. 13 I can do all things in
him who strengthens me. 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15
And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel,
when I left Macedo'nia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving
and receiving except you only; 16 for even in Thessaloni'ca you sent me
help once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift; but I seek the fruit
which increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more;
I am filled, having received from Epaphrodi'tus the gifts you sent, a
fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my
God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in
Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Your message made me turn to this, and I think I'm inclined to buy your
argument. Especially since you bring in context - I'm a context junkie at heart.

Still, the idealist in me doesn't want to reduce the opening of Phillipians
to "Keep those cards and letters coming!" He chooses the word KOINWNIA for a
reason, I think. This reminds me of the phrase THN XARIN KAI THN KOINWNIAN
THS DIAKONIAS THS EIS TOUS hAGIOUS in 2 Cor 8:4, "the grace and the
fellowship of service to the saints". Paul was grateful for the money, but
also for the support and fellowship involved in the giving. I supported an
African missionary who always stressed that this fellowship, concern, and
prayer was as important as the money.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com