Re: EPI in Phil 1:3

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 08:57:30 EDT

At 08:29 AM 7/22/97 -0400, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>Sorry to have to dissent from Jonathan, but if we're taking a vote on
>whether the hUMWN in Phil 1:3 is subjective or objective genitive, I'll
>have to vote for OBJECTIVE genitive. I think Paul is using a regular
>formula here: "I mention you every time I pray ..." I also think that
>MNEIAN POIOUMAI is a regular idiom here and that MNEIA doesn't mean
>"recollection," "memory" so much as "mention."
>
>Cf. Rom 1:9; 2 Tim 1:3.

A similar formula is also used in Ephesians 1:16 and 1 Thess 1:2. In these
passages, it is clear that Paul is remembering the people addressed by the
letter. So I think I may have been wrong in my earlier post...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com