Re: Romans 7:6 - Discharged APW TOU NOMOU. "This aspect of" NOMOU?

From: Rev. John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@cswnet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 23:20:15 EST

Hello Wes:
I don't think that the translation is legitimate that you mentioned. The
passage under consideration is being controlled by Romans 6:14 where it
says that "sin shall not have dominion over you (pl.). For you are not
under law but under grace." Now as James Arminius noted there is a hidden
premise in this statement and that is: Sin shall have dominion over those
under law. Therefore in 6:15-23 we have a discussion of what it means to
be "under grace"; in 7:1-6 Paul proves that we are "not under law"; finally
in 7:7-25 he shows that sin shall have dominion over those under law even
though the law is good. In the close context 7:4 says the we are "dead to
the law." Death breaks all legal relationships.