Beginner question (Mark 8:12)

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 14:36:40 EST

From: LUCY::EHOBBS "Edward Hobbs" 8-DEC-1997 14:35:36.94
To: IN%"sdurf@tesser.com"
CC: EHOBBS
Subj: RE: Beginner question

Dear Steve,

You asked: -->>>>>>>>>>

While reading Mark the other night, I was brought up short at Mark 8:12.

AMHN LEGW, EI DOQHSETAI THI GENEA TAUTHI SHMEION.

This is Jesus' much-discussed statement that no (great) sign of power =
will be shown to this generation. Every translation I have says the =
same thing.

Can someone tell me what information is contained in this verse that =
convinces translators unanimously that it is negative (that is, there is =
no OU or MH as in the parallel passages)? It must be something I =
haven't learned (a Hebraism perhaps?). Sure wish I had the UBS handbook =
for Mark. =20

Thanks for any responses,

Steve

<<<<<<---------------

The answer is that it is, indeed, a "Hebraism" -- a literal translation
from Hebrew or Aramaic into Greek.

The Hebrew form in full would be:

"May God do so-and-so to me [Strike me dead, or the like],
IF ['IM] thus-and-thus be the case."

The first clause was often simply understood, and the sentence begins with
'IM ("If"). This is the only instance of it in the NT, except for quotes
of Psa. 94 (LXX) in Hebrews 3 and 4. But it occurs often enough in LXX.

Edward Hobbs
Wellesley