Re:Adverbial Nominative Participle?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 06:46:17 EST

Clay wrote:

> Can a nominative participle function as an adverb? The long participial clause
> in Acts 7:36 starting with POIHSAS appears to be adverbially related to
> EXHGAGHEN. If this participle had been in the accusative I would have no
> problem here but with it in the nominative I was tempted to find some way of
> making it appositional to hOUTOS which I think is unlikely. I spent an hour
> scanning my grammars for a discussion of the Nominative Participle used
> adverbially and didn't find anything that seemed to address this topic.

As often happens the moment I send a question off to b-greek I find some new
information which is relevant.

Codex Bezae reads hO POIHSAS, which makes this a relative clause with Moses as
the ultimate antecedent and hOUTOS as the local antecedent. This shows that at
least one scribe did not think that this participle was functioning
adverbially. Correct? Why does the participle appear to be adverbially related
to EXHGAGHEN? Am I mixing up syntax and semantics here?

Perhaps the on set of winter is making more muddle headed than usual.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:27:37 +0000
From: clayton stirling bartholomew <c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net>
To: b-greek <B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU>
Subject: Adverbial Nominative Participle?

Can a nominative participle function as an adverb? The long participial clause in Acts 7:36 starting with POIHSAS appears to be adverbially related to EXHGAGHEN. If this participle had been in the accusative I would have no problem here but with it in the nominative I was tempted to find some way of making it appositional to hOUTOS which I think is unlikely. I spent an hour scanning my grammars for a discussion of the Nominative Participle used adverbially and didn't find anything that seemed to address this topic.

No doubt there is something quite obvious that I am overlooking here. What is it? -- Clayton Stirling Bartholomew Three Tree Point P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062