Re: Papyrus Egerton 2

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 23:24:48 EST

>This may be a bit off-topic, but does anyone have any information on
>Papyrus Egerton 2? It's a fragment of what appears to be an apocryphal
>gospel, reported to show signs of both Johannine and Synoptic influence
>(although there seems to be debate over the direction). I've been able
>to find some German articles, but unfortunately my German's a bit rusty.
>Does anyone have any info. to share or reference? Basically, I was able
>to get the Greek text from the German article (out of Novum Testamentum,
>I think), so I'm pretty much looking for more critical information either
>for or against the idea that it is a source for the canonical gospels.
>I'd appreciate any help, and if it seems that this doesn't really fit the
>list format, by all means respond off list.

I want to add one bibliographic item to those already mentioned in response
to Trevor Peterson's request.

_Los Evangelios Apocrifos_, ed. Aurelio de Santos Otero. Biblioteca de
Autores Cristianos 148. Madrid: Bibliotheca de Autores Cristianos, 1963.

This marvellous edition provides an introduction (in Spanish), an extensive
bibliography of items published down to 1953 (Including reference to
Joachim Jeremias, _Unknown Sayings of Jesus_), gives a Greek text with
facing Spanish translation. It includes a black and white facsimile of the
papyrus [The Bell and Skeat volume has a color facsimile.].

The 700+ pages of this volume contain the most complete collection of
apocryphal gospels available, including the Greek and Latin text, and
English translations of texts that survive in Arabic, Syriac, or other
eastern languages. Unfortunately, I think the volume may be out of print.
To make you week, I bought my copy in 1974, bound, for $2.15. If it is out
of print, it deserves reprinting.

                * Edgar Krentz *
                * Professor of New Testament *
                * Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago *
                * 1100 East 55th Street *
                * Chicago, IL 60615 *
                * e-mail: office: ekrentz@lstc.edu *
                * home: emkrentz@mcs.com *
                *Tel: 0ff.: 773-256-0752; home 773-947-8105 *