Re: Papyrus Egerton 2

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 08:23:06 EST

Edgar M. Krentz Wrote:
>_Los Evangelios Apocrifos_, ed. Aurelio de Santos Otero. Biblioteca de
>Autores Cristianos 148. Madrid: Bibliotheca de Autores Cristianos, 1963.
>
>This marvellous edition provides an introduction (in Spanish), an extensive
>bibliography of items published down to 1953 (Including reference to
>Joachim Jeremias, _Unknown Sayings of Jesus_), gives a Greek text with
>facing Spanish translation. It includes a black and white facsimile of the
>papyrus [The Bell and Skeat volume has a color facsimile.].
>
>The 700+ pages of this volume contain the most complete collection of
>apocryphal gospels available, including the Greek and Latin text, and
>English translations of texts that survive in Arabic, Syriac, or other
>eastern languages. Unfortunately, I think the volume may be out of print.
>To make you week, I bought my copy in 1974, bound, for $2.15. If it is out
>of print, it deserves reprinting.

        It has been reprinted several times: It goes trough the 9th ed.
(3950 ptas.) My copy is the 6th edition from 1988 (now XXVI + 780 pp.). It
contains a "Suplemento bibliogr‡fico a la tercera edici—n" (pp. XIII-XIX)
that actualises the bibliographical references to 1972, and a new section
devoted to the Gnostic apocryphal gospels in Coptic found in Nag Hammadi
(Evangelios de Tom'as y Felipe), only in Spanish translation with a very
extensive bibliography up to 1987, but no facsimiles at all.

        The bibliography adds only 1 item on PEgerton 2:
        U.Gallizia "Il P. Egerton 2: Aegyptus 36 (Milano 1956) 29-72. 178-234.

        The volumes of the BAC are still cheap (but not what they used to
be). You can find them on http://www.adv.es/bac/ but they don't seem to
provide any address here over the Earth. In my copy of Otero's book it
appears the following address for book orders:

La editorial cat'olica
Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos (BAC)
c. Mateo Inurria, 15
Apdo. 466