verbal aspect of the articular present participle

From: Michael H Burer (burer@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 10:33:47 EST

Hello B-Greeks, and Happy Holidays!

I am currently studying gnomic presents in Johannine literature, and I am
facing a quandary when it comes to the articular present participle used
substantivally. This often occurs as the subject of a clause, e.g., in
John 3:36: Oj PISTEUWN EIS TON UION ECEI ZWHN AIWNION. My question
concerns the verbal aspect of the participle used this way. What aspect
does it have, if any? If it has aspect, would gnomic present be a real
possibility for these participles? If it is aspectually flat, how should
we understand the verbal side of the participle to be functioning? Any
thoughts on this topic or thoughts on specific passages in Johannine
literature where this occurs would be appreciated.

Michael Burer
ThM Student
Dallas Theological Seminary