Re: verbal aspect of the articular present participle

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 09:08:51 EST

Michael H Burer asked:

>I am currently studying gnomic presents in Johannine literature, and I am
>facing a quandary when it comes to the articular present participle used
>substantivally. This often occurs as the subject of a clause, e.g., in
>John 3:36: Oj PISTEUWN EIS TON UION ECEI ZWHN AIWNION. My question
>concerns the verbal aspect of the participle used this way. What aspect
>does it have, if any? If it has aspect, would gnomic present be a real
>possibility for these participles? If it is aspectually flat, how should
>we understand the verbal side of the participle to be functioning? Any
>thoughts on this topic or thoughts on specific passages in Johannine
>literature where this occurs would be appreciated.

Michael:

Here's a couple of suggestions for lines of research (I don't want to
spoil your fun !!) (-;

1) I would tend to agree that *Substantival Ptcs* are, as you put it,
"aspectually flat"; ie., they are just noun substitutes without aspect
as we normally think about it in other verbs; hence as nouns they have
a tendency to "feel" gnomic, since it is just refering to a person or
group that does something.

2) A more intruiging and profitable question to chase in this context
is to compare the Pres Ptcs (John 1:15; 3:15, 16, 18, 36; 5:24; 6:35,
40, 47, 64; 7:38; 11:25, 26; 12:44, 46; 14:12; 17:20; 1John 5:1, 5,
10, 13) with the Subst Aor Ptcs (John 7:39; 20:29) and Subst Perf
Ptcs (John 8:31). The use of the other tenses should give you a good
comparitive base to see what's going on with the Pres.

Have fun...

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com