Luke 2:14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 07:05:20 EST

hAPASI TOIS ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS CAIREIN:

        DOXA EN hUYISTOIS QEWi
        KAI EPI GHS EIRHNH EN ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS.

The problem with this verse and all that it has to say to all of us
continues to be the meaning of the word and the sense in which the genitive
of EUDOKIA is attached to ANQRWPOI. Much as I like the older version with
EUDOKIA as a nominative ("Peace, good will to men"--in the non-generic
sense, of course) and much as I approve of the interpretation that makes
it: "Peace to people of His good pleasure," I somehow yearn for the simpler
sense, "Peace among people of good will," even if that is not what the
Lucan text most likely means. I would, in fact, welcome a discussion of
what exactly EUDOKIA means here.

However, I really wanted to say something more about "peace among people of
good will" as a conception of community particularly apt as an ideal
description of B-Greek and the actualization of which is devoutly to be
wished. It's the season to "lighten up," to show more than the usual
measure of "good cheer," to be less defensive and fearful that one's e-ox
(so often a surly and timid and anxious and dejected beast that it could
well be identified with A.A. Milne's Eeyore of the Pooh stories) is likely
to be gored by one's e-neighbor. It's the season to reckon up the blessings
that this e-community has brought us all (surely more than we had the right
to expect for not making greater efforts ourselves to make it a blessing
for others) and to open up our hearts anew to whatever the true meaning of
EUDOKIA may be. Would that be too much to hope for on B-Greek at this time
of year? I hope not; rather I fervently hope and pray it may come to pass.