Re: Luke 2:14

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 23:29:36 EST

>hAPASI TOIS ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS CAIREIN:
>
> DOXA EN hUYISTOIS QEWi
> KAI EPI GHS EIRHNH EN ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS.
>
>The problem with this verse and all that it has to say to all of us
>continues to be the meaning of the word and the sense in which the genitive
>of EUDOKIA is attached to ANQRWPOI. Much as I like the older version with
>EUDOKIA as a nominative ("Peace, good will to men"--in the non-generic
>sense, of course) and much as I approve of the interpretation that makes
>it: "Peace to people of His good pleasure," I somehow yearn for the simpler
>sense, "Peace among people of good will," even if that is not what the
>Lucan text most likely means. I would, in fact, welcome a discussion of
>what exactly EUDOKIA means here.

I think that the verbal idea contained in this noun is passive. That means
that where it is used in reference to God (as in Lk 2:14) it is God who is
pleased. It is used also by Paul with reference to God (Eph. 1:5)
"Designated unto adoption . . . according to the pleasure of his will."

It is also used of Paul's desire or what pleases Paul, (Rom. 10:1). So
perhaps Carl's plea for good will is well within the use of this word in
the NT. Perhaps we should think in terms though of living within the
boundaries of what is pleasing to God. Surely living with and respecting
each of God's creations on earth is within those bounds.

Grace & Peace,

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College