Re: PARATUPON

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 06:37:32 EST

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> In acts 7:44 Bezae has a unique(?) reading:
>
> NA27: KATA TON TUPON
>
> Bezae: KATA TO PA[RAT]UPON
>
> The lacuna in the Bezae reading is filled in the same manner by several
> editors so I assume that this reconstruction in not controversial.
{snip}
> I am wondering if this can
> really be the reading in Bezae since I can find on reference to it as a neuter
> with a meaning which will fit in this context. If this is not the reading in
> Bezae what are some alternatives for filling the lacuna?

Here is a long shot. Let's assume that somewhere in all the possible worlds of
ancient Greek literature there is an example of TUPON as a neuter noun with a
semantic range similar to TUPOS. If that were the case (there doesn't seem to
be any evidence that is the case) then could we postulate the following
reconstruction of our passage:

Bezae: KATA TO PA[N T]UPON

This is not a happy solution. But I don't think the one offered by Ropes and
others is a very happy solution either for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point