BREFOS vs. PAIDION

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 18:05:02 EST

Dale's ho-ho-ho reminded me of the question I have of the traditional
story that the MAGOI came to visit the PAIDION while still in the
manger. Luke 2:16 describes the BREFOS in the manger. Matthew 2:11 says
the MAGOI came to visit Jesus, not in the manger, but now in a house in
Bethlehem. This house visit could have been up to two years after Jesus'
birth (Matt. 2:16).

When does a BREFOS become a PAIDION? Luke 2:17 calls the BREFOS a
PAIDION while still a baby (evidentally a PAIDION is a "young child"
without reference to age here?). Whereas is PAIDION in other contexts a
reference to "young" but not a baby? I'm more interested in the common
Koine usage in discriminating the uses.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams