Re: Nouns, person, and gender.

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 02:22:20 EST

Then at 11:35 AM +0400 12/25/97, someone wrote in reply:

>Luke 6:31 KAI KAQOS QELETE hINA POIWSIN hUMIN hOI ANQRWPOI POIEITE AUTOIS
>hOMOIWS. "And just as you wish that they do to you, you men do to them the
>same."
>
>In Greek the nom. pl. verb can function in apposition to the subject of the
>verb no matter what person the verb might be. This, it seems to me,
>accomplishes the same thing. "Men" could also be vocative-- "Men, you do
>the same to them."

This is really *not* an example of what Jonathan asked about. hOI ANQRWPOI
does not actually function as the subject of the second occurance of POIEW
(as the translation provided takes it to be), but of the first (which is
*third* person).

        "And just as you wish that PEOPLE do to you, do to them the same."

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the (New and Improved) Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/bibliography.html