Re: Transliteration schemes

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 06:45:42 EST

Edward Hobbs (the real one) wrote:
>Daniel Riano has posted an explanation of the scheme he uses. He also says
>he is quoting me, whereas he is quoting someone else.

Oops. Apologies for quoting as Edward's words part of a message from
somebody else, whose words Edward was merely quoting in a posting where
made some comments that were in the substance, if not in the form,
basically the same as the ideas he had to repeat because of my apocryphal
attribution. I probably could have save some time had I realised that the
author of the lines that gave ocasion to my letter was not the same who
kindly made public the lines of the most accepted scheme for the
transliteration of Greek in this List. (My Eudora always precedes quoted
text with ">", and I was very careless not distinguising a quotation marked
with a different, but perfectly recognoscible, typographical convention).

>(Incidentally, Daniel's scheme, aside from accents, is exactly the
>suggested one except for the variation in X and C, a variation which
>is noted on the FAQ's explanation.)

Certainly not. I regret that my poor English suggest otherwise. I'll point
out some of the differences between the scheme I proposed in the posting
Edward is referring to, and the "Usual in B-Greek" scheme as exposed in
Edward Hobbs posting of Thu, 25 Dec 1997 16:32:48 entitled "
Transliterating Greek for B-Greek" which is, I understand, the n-repetition
of a long standing proposal, which explains Edward's impatience about other
people making again and again new proposals. This time I hope I make myself
clearer than before. This, like the previous post is intended more as an
explanation than a defense.

>(1) CAPITALS are used when transliterating Greek letters
I proposed the use of every letter in the correspondent case (i.e.
minuscles when the Greek text uses minuscles)

>on a
>one-to-one basis, reserving lower-case {i} to represent
>iota-subscript
I proposed "|" for the iota subscript.

>and lower-case {h} to represent rough breathing.
 I proposed "(" to to represent rough breathing

>No accents, no smooth breathings.
I propose to leave no word without accents or breathings

>And no distinction between
>medial and final Sigma.

>(2) If accents are really necessary, to distinguish otherwise
>identical words, acute is represented by {/}, grave by {\}, and
>circumflex either by tilde {~ [preferable]} or {=}
I proposed "=" for the circumflex. Nothing is said about the soft
breathing, for which I proposed ")"

> -- always
>AFTER the vowel over which it would be written.
I proposed to type it in the handwriting order, i.e. AFTER the minuscle
vowel and BEFORE the majuscles.
I proposed some additional signs, like
dieresis = +
littera dubia = ?
littera amissa = !

To distinguish between Latin and Greek letters I forgot to mention the use
of "*" as a mark of beginning/end of Greek text, or, for long quotations of
Greek, to separate it from the rest of the text.

        Valete

>We had endless discussions of the virtues of many schemes several
>years ago, and a decision was made to:
>
>(1) Allow liberty of methods;
>
>(2) Suggest the commonest one in use on this List, for those who wish
>to conform to the commonest method in use on this List, and to explain it.
>

>Daniel likes his method best. Good! He may use it.
>Everyone probably likes his/her own method best. Good! They may use them.
>Some may prefer being clear to others to using their own method on this
> List. Good! They may do so.
>

>But please: No more defenses of the method each one of us prefers.
>(My personal method is not the same as that "suggested" in the FAQ;
>but I have no reason to defend it here, or even use it here.)
>
>Most posters like (or used to like) being able to distinguish the Greek
>from English, hence the use of capitals. Accents, as used on some other
>Lists, seem needless unless we are discussing the accent of a word, since
>we all possess Greek Testaments.
>
>But if you prefer, use lower-case, use accents, or anything you like.
>Of course, the further you stray from the usual method, the more your
>fellow-subscribers will use the "Delete" key.

Daniel Rian~o Rufilanchas
c. Santa Engracia 52, 7 dcha.
28010-Madrid
Espan~a