Re: Suggestions for translating GEENNA

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 21:15:59 EST

On Mon 29 Dec 97 (21:54:20 +0100), furuli@online.no wrote:
> The OT information about GE HINNOM and the words of Jesus about GEENNA
> accord with, or even suggest a rubbish heap, but the evidence is in no
> way conclusive. I also remember an article I read some years ago
> (perhaps in "Biblical Archaeologist") about someone digging in GE
> HINNOM without finding any traces of trash or ashes. Adding the
> different rabbinic and pseudepigraphic traditions about GEENNA to the
> uncertainty whether the valley really was a trash heap, we have reasons
> to transcribe the word and let the readers decide, rather than use even
> the relatively neutral rendition that you suggested.

 Dear Rolf, and Dear David:

 Was it at Topheth that "someone" tried an archaeological "dig"?
 I was thinking of Mark 9:44, 46, 48 which quote from Isaiah 66:24 (verses
 44 and 46 are not in the best manuscripts).

 The Valley of Hinnom was where the worshippers of Molech offered their
 firstborn children to Molech by "passing them through the fire". They
 called this place Topheth. King Ahaz began the practice (2 Chronicles 28:3)
 and it was continued by Manasseh, son of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 33:6).

 ToPheTh (root T-P-T) is the word for a *fireplace*. Jeremiah, the compiler
 of 1&2 Kings, pointed TPT with the vowels of BoSheTh, (shame, ignominy), to
 make the word ToPheTh. "Molech" likewise can be construed as the consonants
 of MeLeKh (king) with the vowels of BoSheTh.

 When Hilkiah the priest rediscovered the Book of the Law hidden in the
 Temple, king Josiah began his crusade to cleanse Judah of idolatry:
 "And he defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of the children of Hinnom,
 that no man might make his son or his daughter to pass through the fire
 to Molech" (2 Kings 23:10).

 Jeremiah refers to this in Jeremiah 7:31-34. Josiah caused Topheth to
 become the municipal trash heap of Jerusalem, where all the city waste
 was burnt. It bred maggots and was a health hazard, so the fires were
 kept burning day and night to eliminate disease. But the wet waste went
 on breeding maggots until the fire reached it; hence the observation,
 "the worm [maggots] dieth not, and the fire is not quenched". What a
 perfect metaphor for the Hell of Fire. See also Jeremiah 19:6, 32:35.

 This is the concept which is brought over into the New Testament vocabulary.
 The "Valley of Hinnom" /GeY-HiNNoM/ is GEENNA by transcription into Greek.
 "Hell" is understood as Gehenna, not She'ol/Hades which is a sort of remand
 prison for disembodied souls awaiting the "2nd Resurrection" to judgment and
 condemnation (Revelation 20:5-6; 12).

 Christ's parable (if it is a parable) of Dives and Lazarus has the rich
 man in "hell" (hAIDHS) saying he is "tormented in this flame". Commentators
 suggest that this is not the fires of Gehenna or Tartaros (2 Peter 2:4),
 but the metaphorical fire of remorse and bitter regret (Luke 16:23-24).

 The "Lake of Fire" of Revelation 20 is terribly final. The Second Death
 is "eternal death": there is no return or resurrection therefrom. Opinions
 differ as to whether it is the "torment" which is eternal, or the "death"
 which is eternal. Clearly "death" ends all "torment", I would have thought.

 TO PUR TO AIWNION (TARTAROS?) was indeed intended for the devil and his
 angels (Matthew 25:41). So Satan, the Beast and the false Prophet are the
 first to go in. Then follow all whose names are not written in the Book of
 Life. Finally "death and hell" are cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation
 20:10-15). There is no more death, and no more hell HADHS. The "Last Enemy"
 is no more.

 That's a big connotation-load for GEENNA in any language. Leave it
 transliterated, not translated, as a new "technical term" in the target
 language.

 Happy New Year!

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF