Re: Gramcord notes on the article

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 09:50:05 EST

At 09:38 PM 1/1/98 EST, Paul S. Dixon wrote:

>Apparently John 1:49, 1
>Cor 1:18, and Heb 1:10 are regarded by Gramcord as undisputed examples of
>definite anarthrous precopulative predicate nominatives (whew!). I would
>like to dispute each of these.

The fact is that people like you and Dale, both intelligent people who have
studied the article in depth, can disagree about the classification of a
large number of these instances. Doesn't this mean that we need clear
criteria, tests for definiteness that allow two intelligent observers to
agree on how most passages should be classified, before we can make
meaningful rules as to the interpretation of definiteness in such passages?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons