Re: The article for abstract nouns

From: Al Kidd (akidd@infoave.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 15:33:39 EST

Hello, Jonathan.

   Well, I will reiterate one last time what I believe is and is
not going on at 1:1c.

   When _convertibility_ for subject and predicate is the
semantic effect, and when the predicate is a common noun
appellative, then the predicate must be semologically definite
(through anaphora either implied or discernible from context),
and such _use_ of the definite predicate (for the semantic effect
of making the subject and predicate interchangeable) will be
signalled by its articulation. My examples showed this.

Had the common noun appellative (QEOS) in 1:1c
been definite through use as the grammatical equivalent
for the personal name of the Almighty God (such as we
see for its use in 1:1b where it is articulated), then we
would have had the semantic effect of convertibility for
subject and predicate, and there is no way that such a
predicate could have appeared anarthrously. That it
does appear anarthrously alerts us to presence of some other
semantic effect for that predicate use of QEOS. Just what that
is is still a matter of debate, too.

Thank you for your kindness in responding.

Al Kidd