Re: Translations

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 21:25:32 EST

At 04:52 PM 1/8/98 -0600, Fred Haltom wrote:

> The unduly free is often referred to as a paraphrase. It
> sometimes substitutes historical facts or customs in the SL with
> those accepted or understood in the RL. This tends to distort the
> message, yet is said to "communicate" to the readers. The Ebonics
> Bible is an example of this type.

Does the Ebonics Bible really exist? As far as I could tell from searching
the Internet, this originated as a spoof on "Fitshaced Magazine", which
includes a version of the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the 10
Commandments, all of which are far too offensive to be reproduced here. The
home page for "Fitshaced Magazine" proudly proclaims "Fitshaced Magazine is
"hate literature" and is not suitable for Communists, tree huggers,
invalids, or people under the age of 18 (mentally or physically)." I took a
look at it, and I think I would add Christian, Greek scholars, and educated
human beings to the list.

If anybody wants to see the very offensive details, feel free to look here:

        http://www.fitshaced.com/issue1_text.html

Until someone tells me otherwise, I will assume that the Ebonics Bible is
nothing more than an offensive spoof from a magazine that calls itself
"hate literature", and we probably do not need to be spreading this tale as
though it were true.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine