Re: Translations

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 10:53:29 EST

Fred Haltom wrote:

> The unduly free is often referred to as a paraphrase.
> It sometimes substitutes historical facts or customs
> in the SL with those accepted or understood in the RL.
> This tends to distort the message, yet is said to
> "communicate" to the readers. The Ebonics
> Bible is an example of this type.

to which Jonathan Robie replied:

> Does the Ebonics Bible really exist? As far as
> I could tell from searching the Internet, this
> originated as a spoof on "Fitshaced Magazine"...

Perhaps Mr. Haltom is referring to the Black Bible Chronicles:
Vol. 1 - Black Bible Chronicles: From Genesis to the Promised Land (ISBN
156977000X)
Vol. 2 - Rappin' With Jesus: The Good News According to the Four
Brothers (ISBN 1569770050)
by P.K. McCary - now in a two-volume set ISBN: 1569770107

I keep this on the shelf with my "Berkeley Bible" (not Verkuyl's
translation, but a paraphrase of Paul's Epistles called "Letters to
Street Christians" - by 2 "brothers" from Berkeley (Calif.) - a "hippie"
translation from the early 70's(?)) - alongside the king of all
paraphrases, Clarence Jordan's Cotton Patch Gospels, Acts and Epistles.

--
"Eric S. Weiss"
eweiss@gte.net