Acts 2:38; "Causal" EIS--older post

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 12:32:39 EST

Edward, Carlton, et al:

It certainly appears that the causal EIS interpretation of Acts 2:38
may have been motivated more out of desperation. There is a more
basic problem, however, that should be addressed.

A common assumption made by most interpretations of Acts 2:38 is
that a biconditionality exists within the verse, that is, that the verse
implies that if they did not both repent of their sins and receive
baptism,
then their sins would not be forgiven. The verse does not say this,
and it is not valid to infer it. I bring this up only because it is a
typical
and foundational error made, and greatly affects one's interpretation of
the
verse. It has to be addressed.

The question being answered here is, TI POIHSWMEN (v. 37),
not TI ME DEI POIEIN hINA SWQW (16:30). The DEI in 16:30 requires
that the answer given by Paul in v. 31 be taken biconditionally.
PISTEUSON EPI TON KURION IHSOUN KAI SWQHSNi. Nothing is
said in 16:31, however, about baptism as a requirement, or even a
condition
for salvation. Of course, some recognize this and see no contradiction
with their assumption made in 2:38 because they posit two different
requirements for salvation in these verses (or, perhaps, their
hermeneutic
does not require them to care [no intended slam here]).

I note two further considerations. First, scripture nowhere says if a
man
is not baptized, then he cannot have his sins forgiven. Second, in the
long ending of Mark (16:16) belief and baptism are given as conditions
for salvation (16a). The only requirement, however, is belief, as
specifically
stated by Christ in 16b, hO DE APISTHSAS KATAKRIQHSETAI.

My point: adherents of sola fiducia have nothing to fear when they get
to Acts 2:38 which in no way suggests an alternative either for the
Israelites then, or for the Gentiles elsewhere, even if EIS is taken
as aim.

For more, see my homepage below.

Dr. Paul S. Dixon, Pastor
Wilsonville, Oregon