PLANHTHS in Jude 13

From: Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 21:21:23 EST

        I'm sorry this is a Jude/Enoch comparison again.
        PLANHTHS in Jude 13 is (for NT/LXX) hapax legomena

        Can we be certain of the AV/NIV rendering "wandering
        stars" for ASTERES PLANHTAI ("sidera errantia" in Vulgate)

        Noting that two verses earlier Jude describes Balaam's PLANH,
        then looking at the context in Enoch 19:1 [defiling mankind
        and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods"
        is it possible that PLANHTHS might actually mean "deceiving"
        (or is that what "wandering" meant in 1611 English anyway?)

And I saw a deep abyss, with columns of heavenly fire, and among them I saw
columns of fire fall, which were beyond measure alike towards 12 the height
and towards the depth. And beyond that abyss I saw a place which had no
firmament of the heaven above, and no firmly founded earth beneath it: there
was no water upon it, and no 13 birds, but it was a waste and horrible
place. I saw there seven stars like great burning mountains, 14 and to me,
when I inquired regarding them, The angel said: 'This place is the end of
heaven and earth: this has become a prison for the stars and the host of
heaven. And the stars which roll over the fire are they which have
transgressed the commandment of the Lord in the beginning of 16 their
rising, because they did not come forth at their appointed times. And He was
wroth with them, and bound them till the time when their guilt should be
consummated (even) for ten thousand years.'

[Chapter 19]

1 And Uriel said to me: 'Here shall stand the angels who have connected
themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are
defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as
gods, (here shall they stand,) till the day of the great judgement in 2
which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. And the women also
of the angels who 3 went astray shall become sirens.' And I, Enoch, alone
saw the vision, the ends of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.

        Or does PLANHTHS have astrological significance here and no
        reference to PLANOS... or is it a word play?

        By the way is anyone familiar with James C. Vanderkam (editor)
        Jewish Apocalyptic Heritage in Early Christianity Sec3 _Jewish
        Traditions in Early Christianity_ ?

        Steven