hH OUSA hAIRESIS in Acts 5:17

From: DMills0418 (DMills0418@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 10:18:39 EST

I am a little puzzled by the phrase in Acts 5:17 that includes the participle
of EIMI: ANASTAS DE hO ARCIEREUS KAI PANTES hOI SUN AUTWi, hH OUSA hAIRESIS
TWN SADDOUKAIWN, EPLHSQHSAN ZHLOU. At first, I thought hH ought to be a
relative pronoun, but it has no accent and it is not plural. So my question
is, how is this phrase connected to the main clause? If the phrase is like a
parenthetical statement, why isn't there a finite verb instead of a
participle?

David R. Mills
ESL instructor
Creighton University