Re: Thoughts on Ambiguities

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 06:57:21 EST

At 06:38 AM 1/13/98 -0500, Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> Isn't it possible that apparent ambiguities in the NT are due to
>language limitations inherent (I assume) in any language, especially when
>trying to express spiritual concepts?

Last time I flew in a plane, there was a sign in front of my seat that said
"fasten seat belt while seated". This is probably good advice - have you
ever tried to fasten a seat belt while standing? It is very difficult.

Actually, the sentence is ambiguous, and also allows the meaning "while you
are seated, keep your seat belts fastened." Although the sentence on the
sign *is* ambiguous, most native English speakers never see the ambiguity.
However, many of us would not fail to see both potential meanings in a
passage that we are reading carefully.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine