Re: Rom. 3:22a: DIA PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 01:47:40 EST

On Sun 11 Jan 98 (12:33:16 +0000), mathetes@erols.com wrote:
> I have a question regarding the Greek phrase DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
> XRISTOU which could be translated "through faith OF Jesus Christ" in
> Rom. 3:22a.

 IMHO this looks like the old choice between "subjective" and "objective"
 genitive. Is the faith that of the subject, or that of the object? Is it
 our faith in him, or his faith on our behalf?

 Hodge comments "/Even the righteousness of God/. The repetition of the
 subject from the preceding verse; DE is therefore not adversative, but is
 properly rendered /even/. This righteousness, of which God is the author,
 and which is available before him, and which is now revealed, is more
 particularly described as a (DIKAIOSUNH (OUSA) DIA PISTEWS) righteousness
 which is of faith, i.e., by means of faith, not DIA PISTIN, /on account of/
 faith. Faith is not the ground of our justification; it is not the
 righteousness which makes us righteous before God, (it is not itself the
 DIKAIOSUNH TOU QEOU,) nor is it even represented as the inward principle
 whence that righteousness proceeds.... This righteousness is /through/
 faith, as it is received and appropriated by faith. It is, moreover, ...
 /faith of Christ/; that is, faith of which Christ is the object...."
 (C Hodge, /Epistle to the Romans/, Edinburgh, 1864, p 89).

 The teaching of the rest of the Epistle seems to bear this out (Romans 1:17;
 4:11 & 13; compare Philippians 3:9).

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>