Re: Re: Rom. 3:22a: DIA PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 16:38:25 EST

>> Second thoughts: the genitive in Greek also comprises the Locative, the
>> case of location at a place. Hence DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU could well
>> be interprested "through faith IN Jesus Christ". That is the way JA Bengel
>> takes it in his renowned /Gnomon Novi Testamenti/.
>
>The genitive as locative? sounds to me like a theological stretch to cover
>an uncomfortable passage. (with all due respect to the good Bengel).

I guess I'd call this an objective genitive (faith whose object is Christ =
faith in Christ; Smyth 1328-1335). I've never heard of a locative genitive,
per se, although there is a gen. of place within which or at which an action
happens (Smyth, 1448, 1426) but that's not really what is going on in this
verse. The term locative is normally used with certain datives (Smyth,
1530-1538).

God Bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.