Re: Re: Rom. 3:22a: DIA PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU

From: WFWarren (WFWarren@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 23:49:17 EST

In a message dated 14-1-98 4:06:28 AM, Jonathan wrote:

>Bill Warren suggested an interesting twist on this at supper tonight over a
>Cajun Crawfish platter - he says that PISTIS in the LXX and other Jewish
>literature seems to have the meaning "loyalty"

I cannot claim originality for this view, since Bruce Malina is the one who
starting me thinking in this direction. But upon analyzing numerous usages of
especially the verb form PISTEUW, I have been persuaded that the dominant NT
usage is best captured as "pledging loyalty." For the noun form PISTIS, the
term "loyalty" often (usually) communicates the meaning (especially in the
Synoptic Gospels--the noun form is not used in John's Gospel), although other
focuses also are found in the NT, as in the Pastoral Epistles on several
instances, where a body of beliefs is apparently in mind.

Paz,

Bill Warren
Professor of New Testament and Greek