Re: Eph. 2:8-10

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 12:57:11 EST

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:31:33 -0500 Jonathan Robie <jonathan@texcel.no>
writes:

>I'm not sure what Vernon's background is, so here is a quick
>translation in case he is not deeply into Greek: Carl is saying that
"the gift of
>God" is that "by means of faith you have been saved".

Jonathan:

We could add one more thing to that, if I understand Carl correctly:
"the gift of God" is that "you have been saved, or you are saved, by
grace through faith." The gift includes the whole thing, not just faith.

What I find intriguing is the insertion of THS before PISTEWS by the
majority of manscripts, including A, D2 and Psi. The anarthrous PISTEWS
is strongly and widely supported by the earliest manuscripts. The
question I have is, if the anarthrous construction is authentic, why
would a scribe add the definite article? In this context it seems most
out of place, so much so, that I wonder how anybody would think
otherwise, let alone that it would be reflected in the majority readings.

Paul Dixon