Re: Cyberhermeneutics

From: Vernicus@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 20:23:13 EST

One additional thought on Cyberhermeneutics:

I am a software analyst and have seen computers move from when a "boot strap"
was a real paper strap to the present, and my views on education changed when
I started teaching colledge. There is something to be said about the struggle
that comes from digging through the material in learning to discern and think
critically.

For example:

My experience has been that those who worked their way through engineering
classes using a slide rule and a notepad, tended to have a better perception
or mental picture of the problem at hand. Please do not misunderstand me, this
does not mean that present day engineers who cut their teeth in math by using
a computer are somehow less in producing answers. What seems to be the
difference, in my opinion, is the younger engineers tend to think more so in
2-D, because the computer provided all the graphs and pictures that were
needed.

Let me ask you: Could it be that this stuggle builds discernment and patience
that for the most part is lost with the speed of computers? Could it be that
the struggle of going through, let's say a word study, without the use of a
computer builds mental musles that are mostly overlooked when using a
computer?

Jesus is Wonderful,

Vernon McCarty
(Romans 15:13) <><