Re: ALHQEIA

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 1998 - 09:21:12 EST

You wrote:

> I have a translation of the NT [ Recovery Version: Living Stream
Ministry
> in Anaheim, CA ] that consistently translates the term ALHQEIA in the
> gospels as "reality" (although I have not checked every instance. For

> example, John 1:14...."glory as of the only Begotten of the Father,
full
> of grace and reality." Is there any justification for this?

2 things:

Living Stream Ministry is centered on promoting the works of the late
Watchman Nee and especially those of his late disciple Witness Lee (some
would say "heretical" disciple - although in the "cult" trial of Witness
Lee's "The Local Church" - in which they won the case and the rights and
property of the Christian group that had defamed them, even Eugene
Goetchius of Greek grammar fame defended their theology and form of
Christianity - somewhere I came across the transcript of his testimony,
perhaps on the Internet) - anyway, this is all to say that the
distinctions of the group probably explains their choice of a bible that
translates ALHQEIA as "reality" consistently throughout the New
Testament. Is this bible right in its translation? Most of the B-Greek
consistently as "reality" and perhaps should NEVER translate it as such.

However, BAGD gives "reality (as opposed to mere appearances - opp.
PROFASIS)" as a proper definition of ALHQEIA - it's listed as definition
3. (p. 36) - 1. is "truthfulness" and 2. is "truth"

So ... any responses as to WHEN ALHQEIA can be translated as "reality" -
other than those listed in BAGD, since sometimes BAGD's categories are
not the final word?

--
"Eric S. and Karol-Ann Weiss"
http://home1.gte.net/eweiss/index.htm