Re: MEN OUN

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 15:41:36 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote about Acts 8:4 MEN OUN . . .

> I will "essay an opinion": it certainly should be said that this is not the
> combination that would be printed together as MENOUN. Rather I think it is
> a MEN coordinated with the DE in 8:5 accompanied by a continuative OUN. I'd
> translate the pair of verses somewhat: "Now those who had been scattered
> went every which way proclaiming the gospel word, but Philip, upon his
> arrival in Samaria, ..."
>
> I would add that I think the context is not just the activity of Paul in
> 8:3 but rather the dispersion and aftermath of the stoning of Stephen as a
> whole sequence in 8:1b-3.

After reading Carl's post I went back to Smyth and read #2901 & #2904 again.
If I understand Carl correctly, he is ruling out the compound sense of MEN OUN
given in Smyth #2901.a and suggesting that these particles (Smyth's term) each
have their own force as described in Smyth #2901.c. Further he is suggesting
that what we have here is a MEN . . . DE construction with DE having a mild
adversative force. All of this makes sense, but I have one lingering question.

What does OUN add to this passage?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point