Re: MEN OUN

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 07:18:08 EST

At 08:41 PM 1/7/98 +0000, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

>What does OUN add to this passage?

In Acts 8:4 hOI MEN OUN DIASPARENTES, I think that OUN has a conventional
meaning, indicating either that this is what happened *after* Saul
scattered them, or that this is what they did in *response* to having been
scattered. I might translate "then those who had been scattered" or perhaps
"so those who had been scattered".

Incidentally, the reason the MEN...DE is helpful in this passage is to
point out that Philip was not among those who had been scattered. Verse 8:1
tells us that all were scattered *except* the apostles. Acts 4 talks about
those who have been dispersed (hOI MEN OUN DIASPARENTES) then tells us what
Philip (FILIPPOS DE) did, indicating clearly that he did not belong to the
former group.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research