Re: Views on Revelation/Apologies

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 18:01:49 EST

Colleagues:

Not only do I concur with Carl, that this thread should end, but I also
concur with his statement _in toto_ about the character of the List.
Granted that we grant leeway for "humor and personal anecdotes" which
contribute to the spirit of cameraderie, we still have a range within which
the List operates. As Nichael Cramer reminded us, there are plenty of
Lists available where people can argue over their religious views or their
theology or their pet projects or pet peeves. This List has its value in
large part because it IS about "Biblical Greek," and not about other things
we have an interest in. A few months ago, I gave a listing of a number of
things I enjoy discussing, which are not Biblical Greek. But I have no
right to try to force others on this List to listen to my views on those
subjects. Asking them to use their Delete key when I attempt it is a cheap
way of imposing my own desires on others; it is like telling others to use
their brakes when I run a red light in front of them.

The character of this List was established by its Founder and Owner, and he
has asked that it be kept within those bounds, and that it be conducted in
a civil manner, through the agency of his appointed officers and staff.
Carl and I intend to honor his request.

May I add that I have found that "Apologies" often offered in advance are a
gentle way of acknowledging that one is not sure whether the post is within
our purview, and acknowledging that the poster will not be offended if
told that it DOES overstep the bounds. (Usually it does not; but it is a
way of admitting that one has thought about the issue.)

Edward Hobbs

-------------------
-------------------

Carl's wise post is repeated below, for re-reading if necessary.--->>>

I am sorry to see that this thread is still continuing. I appreciate Ward
Powers' intention in urging against apologies and I am all the more
appreciative of Jane Harper's complaint about a response she received to a
message. We do constitute, as Ward noted, a unique community. But it is a
very diverse community of persons from a broad range of competence in
Greek and a broad range of faith-perspectives. What we need to maintain on
the list is a level of courtesy and respect for diversity that avoids
exchanges that directly challenge, threaten, or offend other list-members
who hold different faith-perspectives. This is the fundamental reason why
we discourage general discussion of theological stances or general
questions of Biblical interpretation and endeavor to keep the focus on
Biblical Greek, on how the Greek text of the NT and LXX and related
literature may be legitimately interpreted and the nature of the Biblical
Greek language itself. Surely humor and personal anecdotes are not amiss
and do contribute to the camaraderie of the list. But there's a line
between affable sharing of the personal side of list-members and
exploitation of the list for proclamation of one's own and/or attack upon
another's convictions. Nevertheless there is plenty of latitude between
what is so irrelevant that it doesn't belong on the list and what is
provocative or discourteous. I have myself apologized more than once if I
feel that I've overstepped the line and I'm not going to abrogate the
right to apologize if ever I feel I've given offense--as I know I've done
before.

Carl W. Conrad