Re: adultery

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 19:19:56 EST

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Jim West wrote:

> The point is not that the woman committed a sin- which she did. The point
> is not that the man did as well. He did. The point is, the use of the
> passive verb demonstrates, quite clearly, that the woman is passively
> involved in the situation- or in modern terms, she is the victim of the
> situation. She has been forced into her bahvior by her unjust husband, who
> has sent her away without just cause. By sending her away he guarantees
> that she is forced into such a lifestyle. She is adulterated- defiled. She
> does not make the man an adulterer, he makes her one!

Jim,

Are you seriously saying that a married woman in biblical times never had
an illicit affair, let alone was never caught in the act of doing so. It
seems to me that in this instance you are importing what happened to a
woman when her husband divorced her (according to Jesus' reading of such
activity) into a story which says nothing about the woman in question
being divorced.

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu