Re: AFIHMI vs CARIZOMAI

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 15:22:04 EST

At 12:02 PM 1/28/98 -0800, you wrote:
>New to the list and rusty to Greek:
>
>I am trying to find distinctions (if any) between these two terms (AFIHMI and
>CARIZOMAI) being translated as "forgive". I see forgiveness being somewhat
>contingent upon repentance/confession. The question I have is whether the
use of
>CARIZOMAI as a term of forgiveness might indicate forgiveness apart from
>repentance, being related to CARIS, grace. Thanks for any help. I did not note
>any discussion of this in BGreek archives. I apologize if it has been
discussed.

first, you would need to do a search to see the contexts of these verbs and
how they are used in those contexts.

second, you would have to exegete the various passages in which you found
them to determine the meaning of the words.

in general terms, afihmi describes a "sending away" (it is also translated
"divorce" in some passages); while carizomai describes a gracious act (and
not necessarily forgiveness per se).

so- where are the passages which use these terms? what is the sense of
those passages?

>dick roberts
>McKenzie Baptist Church
>Vida, OR