Re: multiple ascensions

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 19:03:53 EST

Ben Crick wrote:
> jwest@highland.net wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of any biblical evidence which suggests that Jesus
> > ascended numerous times, culminating in the "grand finale" of Acts 1?
> [...]

I think perhaps the better way to state this is not that "several
ascensions" are reported.

Rather that the various traditions (e.g. the various evangelists) each
report the Ascension in their own way, separately. And as a result we
have multiple --albeit contradictory-- reports of the Ascension.

The correct analogy, I believe, is to the genealogies. Jesus of Nazareth
obviously didn't have two different physical ancestries; rather the two
traditions --in this case the Matthean and the Lukan-- each report a
distinct lineage.

--
Nichael Cramer
work: ncramer@bbn.com