Re: 2 Macc 7:14

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 13:31:10 EST

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Kevin Anderson wrote:

> I am having a bit of difficulty in unravelling the following portion of 2
> Macc 7:14:
>
> hAIRETON METALLASSONTAS hUP' ANQRWPWN TAS hUPO TOU QEOU PROSDOKAN ELPIDAS
> PALIN ANASTHSESQAI hUP' AUTOU
>
> I presume that hAIRETON is a verbal adjective indicating necessity, "one
> must choose." After some head-scratching, rifling LSJ (which was of little
> help), and a search of occurrences in the LXX, I also discovered that
> METALLASSW is invariably used in 2 Macc to refer to death. Hence: "one must
> choose dying at the hands of men...." But then does one take the following
> infinitive PROSDOKAN as purposive (or consecutive?): "one must choose dying
> at the hands of men in order to expect the hopes [given] by God to be raised
> again by him." Or is the choice between two coordinate things?: "one must
> choose dying at the hands of men [and] the hopes [given] by God to expect to
> be raised again by him."
>
> I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give me.

Yes, hAIRETON is a verbal adjective; usually these are passive in sense
and there are two different kinds, one in -TEOS that operate like Latin
gerundives and imply obligation or necessity, the other in -TOS that
indicate possibility to be x'ed (x being whatever the verb is). In this
instance I think that hAIRETON is a predicate adjective to be construed
with the infinitive PROSDOKAN and an implicit ESTI; then I'd take
METALLASSONTAS with an implicit hHMAS serving as subject of the infinitive
PROSDOKAN. As for METALLASSW, this was already a classical Attic euphemism
for death, something like "make the transition," or "pass over from one
state to another." Putting these elements together, I'd get:

        hAIRETON METALLASSONTAS hUP' ANQRWPWN TAS hUPO TOU QEOU PROSDOKAN
        ELPIDAS PALIN ANASTHSESQAI hUP' AUTOU

        "It is choiceworthy (choosable) if/when (we are) facing death at
        the hands of men, to look forward to the hopes (given us) by God
        to be resurrected again by him."

(314) 935-4018