NT Humor

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 16:45:16 EST

I have been off of b-greek for a bit (computer at home had a sick monitor),
so I may be repeating someone else's information.

There is a deligtful book that is worth noting in this discussion of humor
in the NT:
Jakob Johsson, HUMOUR AND IRONY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT ILLUMINATED BY
PARALLELS IN TALMUD AND MIDRASH *Reykjavik: Bokautgafa Menningarsjods,
1965). 299 pages lon.

And I am reminded of a lecture by Bruce M. Metzger years ago at Concordia
Seminary in St. Louis. Referring to two verses in Matthew seven Metzger
quoted "Judge not and you shall not be judged" and "Give not that which is
holy to the dogs, neither cast ye pearls before the swine."

With a twinkle in his eye he said it was impossible to do both. If you did
not judge, you would not know who was dog or pig; decide who is and you
have judged. Then Metzger pointed out that this was a good example of
Jesus' humor. It is precisely the impossibility of it that leads on to ask
what is really meant.

If Jeff Gibson thinks that passing a rope through a needle's eye is
impossible, it is even tougher for a camel to negotiate--and I don't mean a
narrow gate.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago