Re: NT Humor

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 19:59:15 EST

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Edgar M. Krentz wrote:

> If Jeff Gibson thinks that passing a rope through a needle's eye is
> impossible, it is even tougher for a camel to negotiate--and I don't mean a
> narrow gate.

This I grant you readily. But at the risk of seeming humorless myself
(which is not my intention), it seems to me that cable, having more
similarities to what ordinarily is thought to go through a needle, i.e.,
a thread), is more in keeping with the action implied (threading a
needle) in Jesus' saying than does a camel, and therefore is more
likely to have been the meaning of the term in question. But maybe it
is I who am straining at gnats here.

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu