Re: Jn.1:1b word order

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Feb 07 1998 - 22:02:51 EST

At 09:21 PM 2/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>John 1:1b.
>Why is it KAI QEOS HN O LOGOS and not KAI O LOGOS HN QEOS?

For the same reason that it is proper for us to say "God is Love" but not to
say "Love is God"! For, though God can appropriately be described as loving
it is equally inappropriate to say that the abstract "love" is a deity.

>Does it mean the same?

Clearly not.

>Is either more natural or common?

I am not sure what you mean by natural or common.

>Does it imply a special emphasis?

Yes, that the Word is an attribute of the divine. If you will, a hypostasis.

>What about translating this "And God the word was." ?

This is, in my view, grammatically impossible.

>If I read it out loud this way, and paused after saying "God," would I be
>capturing an emphasis on the word "God" that is in the origional?

No.

>William the Barbarian
>Royal Palm Beach, Florida
>Sunny and in the 70's. Ahhhhhh.

How mean. Its in the 30's here and snow a plenty on the ground.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible